Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Pitaya - the dragon fruit

Even I didn't know what Pitaya was until 2 days ago. It was wikipedia which helped me figure out that name. The shop-keeper sold the fruit as dragon fruit and I was enticed by the looks of it and bought it, inspite of the price. I wanted to write about it here really because I have never heard of such a fruit and I was so surprised to see it in Chennai. My wife & son didn't like it and I am finishing the cut fruit slowly. I have to accept it doesn't taste great, at the same time its not very bad either and its definitely eatable considering the positives of Pitaya. Some clicks of the Pitaya I bought.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Mahadevan said...

pitaya looks better with the sattai!

10:15 AM, October 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had this fruit from a fruit garden in Malaysia. For a matter of fact this is the only fruit that grows out of a cactus! The pitaya kai tastes much better than the pazham!! :)

3:41 PM, October 10, 2007  
Blogger Ganesh said...

where will i go for the kai? chennai-la pazham kidaichathey periya vishayam, i thought.

ok, next time when i go to malaysia ;)

6:22 PM, October 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ofcourse, that was me :)

2:39 PM, October 11, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ganesh!!Freom where did u got this?? Reliance Fresh??

8:42 PM, November 01, 2007  
Blogger Ganesh said...

பழமுதிர்சோலை at ashok nagar

12:10 PM, November 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw my first Dragon Fruit yesterday as well. I haven't tasted it yet but I've heard that they don't taste much of anything, which is a pity. They really do look amazing.

3:13 PM, November 24, 2007  
Blogger Known Stranger said...

it comes in another colour. instead of white juicy portion it can be in beetroot red colour. very much a favorite fruit in south east asia. I encountered this fruit very recently when moved to this part of world. One of the rain forest fruits. Many such fruits and vegitables available here which hardly i had seen or aware while in TN.

11:27 AM, January 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home