Sunday, March 08, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire - more disappointing

Let me be frank and honest - the best thing, to me, about Slumdog Millionaire was that it was Siddharth's first ever visit to a cinema hall. My wife and I were so excited about taking him to the theatre, once we decided to do it with Slumdog Millionaire. We are also victims of the hype. Now I think we could have done with some other movie to mark his debut. One of my friends has been telling me that this movie getting so many awards is a con job. Today, I can't agree with him more.

Infact, I am shocked that it has won so many awards. Yes true, I don't know anything about the technical aspects of the movie. But, if it has won the Best Movie award, I have every right to doubt the other awards as well. By no means, this can be the best movie. Either all the awards were made-up or all the judges were completely blind and deaf. I was so happy for Rahman & Resul, but now I have second thoughts. I have no clue of why they have to make this up, but definitely this movie doesn't deserve so much. I myself have seen many more movies much better than this one - in terms of story, screenplay, music, etc., etc. You can't even dismiss it as 'D. It's written'. I am fairly sure Rahman himself would be baffled thinking why for this, when he has delivered many more marvellous songs and some extremely awe-inspiring background scores recently.

All in all, Slumdog Millionaire was very mediocre to me and you will agree if you think outside of all the hype and more so if you have listened to many more Rahman's scores. Not worth it!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Venkatesh R said...

Yes Ganesh, its true.
Rahman himself said that he expected an Oscar for 'Lagaan'.
My thinking is that this time only luck favoured him for 'Slumdog' nothing else.

8:18 PM, March 09, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

THough its not a very good movie and not at all a bad movie either...Do u felt bored in the playtime???I never felt any boredum...
How abt Sid's experience??? :)))

4:29 PM, March 10, 2009  
Blogger மணிகண்டன் said...

ganesh, songs from slumdog millionaire were competing with songs that were chosen from other english movies and not with old ar rahman songs. I saw this movie in the first week of jan thinking that it was a crossover movie like hyderabad blues. And i enjoyed it and i am sure that if i go now for first time, i would probably be disappointed.

Everyone still complains about kamal getting national award for moondraam pirai but not sridevi. Yup. Sridevi outperformed kamal on that movie but they were not competing among themselves for the award.

So, You are free to form your opinion on slumdog millionaire as you like but don't say that they don't deserve the oscars by comparing it with movies that were released in 2006, 2005 & 1972.

silent admirer :- lagaan can only be nominated in one category which is best movie in foreign languages. I don't know what rahman expected for lagaan.

kamal :- neenga ganesh friendaa ?

5:03 AM, March 19, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home