Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A real shame

In London, my company had a corporate box at the O2 arena and we were invited for a WWE showdown (I consider it a disgrace to link their website from my blog). Though, I completely hate the event, I just decided to go to have a nice evening with my English colleagues and compatriots, outside of the wrestling which cannot be termed sport or entertainment in my dictionary.

We were a group of 16 people and the only part of the evening I enjoyed was over when we reached the O2 arena. It was the boat ride on Thames. We passed below quite a few bridges and it was so nice to see the city of London from being on water - a mixture of the old architectural buildings and the new skyscrapers. It was a cold ride, though I managed to take the fleece off for a few clicks. The London boat ride gets ticked in my London to-dos. After that, the experience I had was a shame. Firstly, I firmly believe that going to a WWE event was a shame in itself. The box had complimentary food, drinks & snacks. I managed to grab little vegetarian dishes and since I don't drink alcohol, I enjoyed more than one round of my Diet Pepsi. After I was done, it was such a tough time for me as I could watch neither WWE nor the drunkards. Some of my compatriots reached a real high and were blabbering with the Brits. I couldn't stand it at all and all I heard from them was rubbish, rubbish and more rubbish. I am not against people who drink as its completely their personal wish, but not knowing one's limits isn't acceptable to me - atleast from those whom I have to go out with. I have been out with friends many times when they drink their alcohol while I feast on the side-dishes and some coke. Never have I felt so embarrassed about my countrymen for behaving in such a clownish way - definitely I am being a bit polite to some of my friends(!!) here. I am sorry, if I am hurting anyone here, but we can't make a fool of ourselves in front of people from another country, especially when you are there on an official trip. I wouldn't want to do injustice to the person who preferred to keep quiet once he realized that he has got a high by drinking more than usual - I appreciate!

I did not repent for opting to go there, as I loved the boat ride and it was nice to visit the O2 arena. More than the WWE, it was the behaviour of my compatriots which disturbed me, more so, infront of the English who also drank as much, but held on to themselves mostly. Everyday is an experience and that's what makes this life a learning curve all the time.

Photographs here and here.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Shree said...

Such an incident can get *absolutely* frustrating for non-drinkers! But sometimes its fun to watch others go berserk ;-)

1:59 PM, April 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Not knowing their limit" is also their personal choice !

Why would a trip to WWE be called as official !!

But i can completely understand your frustration ! Don't you remember the end of year party in HOTEL Sangeetha.

mani

11:27 PM, April 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i completely agree with what you have written about that awful NIGHT..but sometimes ..you can't do anything except being only a MUTE SPECTATOR...for the first time in my life i felt so much embarassed....that i can't express it in words....i wish (or rather pray to GOD) that they will behave in some RESPONSIBLE manner next time!!

9:49 PM, May 11, 2008  
Blogger Ganesh said...

Who are you Mr. Anonymous?

2:06 PM, May 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ganesha, many more happy returns of the day. Isn't it a great place to wish you on your birthday ?

with regards
manikandan

7:43 PM, May 20, 2008  
Blogger Ganesh said...

thanks mani.

yes, great place - but wrong date.

8:11 PM, May 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home